MaS is about computer security, malware and spam issues in general.

2008/09/23

UPDATED: Workshop on Interdisciplinary Studies in Security and Privacy

On ThursdayFriday Sept. 26, I'm going have to get up unbelievably early to get to a panel on Targeted Malware at the Workshop on Interdisciplinary Studies in Security and Privacy hosted by the Polytechnic Institute of NYU. Gosh, was that gratuitous or what?
The panel position statement begins with:
Malware undermines trust in information systems. To a certain extent, our success as information system engineers can be measured in terms of the amount of trust that society puts in the systems we have built. Malware, therefore, threatens our success, hinders the acceptance of technologies, and could even potentially reverse the progress that has already been made. The situation is not purely technical. Improved technology can sometimes help (e.g., better software quality), but practical solutions to current and future problems with malware will likely involve a mixture of techniques from multiple areas.
I think I can go along with most of that. Luckily, there are points later in the test where I deviate in opinion, so it should be interesting. 
Anyway, it will be nice to go back to what was once the Brooklyn Polytechnic, where I spent a while shepherding a very interesting project that Prof. Phyllis Frankl was leading. I can't tell you what it was, except it was cool new malware detection technology that never made it into a product as Symantec bought IBM AntiVirus around that time and apparently weren't interested, but it did influence my further research.
If anyone wants to attend the panel (please leave the rotten fruit at home), you have to be invited and you can try your luck on the registration page.




For reasons I can't explain, I had Thursday marked down in my calendar and not Friday, which is the correct date. I'll blame it on the financial crisis :-)

No comments: